Saturday, July 9, 2016

Our Own Stories and How They Cause Limiting Beliefs


I enjoy going to the movies. There’s something special about seeing a film on the big screen as opposed to TV.

But for me there’s something missing from most movies I see these days… a good story.

I understand that Hollywood with their big budgets and special effects these days can make even the most unbelievable of plots seem real using digital wonders and highly talented individuals using software.

But I’m not blinded by this any longer and it’s all beginning to fall flat as the plots are shallow and the films are less about a vehicle for wonderful storytelling and acting and more about blinding me with digital science.

There are exceptions where the story and acting is front and center and the special effects are there and well done but support the story.

As humans we are all about stories and live them out in our lives every day.

Our stories are important to us as they explain what we think and why we think the way we do. It’s what makes each of us unique. Our stories start at birth and as we grow so do our stories and help to shape and expand our futures.

But they can unfortunately confine and limit us as well causing us to repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Like the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray we can end up living the same story with the same result everyday… until WE decide to change it.

Helping people change their story to get a better result is what I’ve chosen to do.

It’s hard but rewarding work.

People who come to me don’t have a Hollywood budget but they do have a fascinating story and my role is to spot what it is about their story that’s hindering them from getting the results they want – such as becoming smoke free, losing weight, or reducing anxiety.

Your “story” is just another term for what I call your Mental Blueprints – shaped by your life, environment and decisions you’ve made up to now. As I mentioned your story or beliefs can also severely limit what you achieve and the results you get.

The wonderful thing about your story is… it can be changed.

I’m not suggesting you quit your job, divorce your spouse, or move to another country because of reading this email – although if you know this is what you need to do then maybe this email is the sign you’ve been waiting to read.

No, I’m suggesting you rewrite your own story in chapters just like a book. Tackle one issue at a time.

I know your next question is something like: “How do I know what to tackle first?

It’s a good question and one most people need help in identifying. If you feel you’re living out a story every day you need to change then seeking professional help to make change is not just one option but could be your best option.

But first here are some free resources to get you started…

Check out an article I wrote about Mental Blueprints  and one about Limiting Beliefs here.

Both of these articles will help you gain an understanding and insights into your story and arm you with information on choosing how you best can go about changing your story to get better results.

Let me know how you enjoy them.

Erika Slater CH
Director
Free At Last Hypnosis

No comments:

Post a Comment